To learn more about the EMV processing of cards than magnetic swipe cards which are standard read the below:
How should the Restaurants handle EMV?
There is a great future with EMV cards. If you haven’t seen an EMV user till date you will soon see them as businesses ought to start using them by October. This will be smooth and easy for many retailers. For the sales to be carried out as normal you have to just dip the card chip into the slot instead of swiping in front of the terminal.
Chip cards – other name of EMV cards would play a major role in the future. For many this change will be smooth and easy. Instead of credit card being swiped you’ll dip the EMV card into the slot which is at the start of the terminal, and the transaction goes as normal. Only for those businesses that accept tip amount, a change to EMV could cause a change in security checks.
If you have the updated version of hardware it is easy to use few terminals which works on the latest hardware for transactions related to EMV. Not all terminal dealers have certified all the features of EMV this new technology. For Instance: Terminal dealers are good to accept easy EMV transactions, wherein the amount is equal to the amount that is settled. It is good to buy a terminal which accepts the adjustment of tips via EMV transactions. IMD recommends the terminals named Verifone Vx520, FD-150 and Clover Mini.
For adjusting the tip amount you can use terminal FD-130
If you are dealing a business of restaurants, there are chances that your customers prefer to pay at their table. Now this is a challenge for EMV transactions, as most of the terminals don’t allow for the tip amount adjustments. This is the reason why businesses have chosen not to upgrade. But with IMD, we provide various options that override the adjustment of Tips, such as terminals FD150 and Verifone Vx520. These two terminals only allow tip-adjustment and accept Chip and PIN dealings which is more secure that EMV can make.
- Chip plus PIN when you customer is present for transactions at the terminal.
- Without PIN transactions – You can override the PIN by getting using the option to run as Chip plus Signature usually issued by the bank. The bank takes the responsibility and you can adjust the tip at a later point of time.
- Adjustment of Tip by EMV. In the end you can adjust your transactions just like your old magnetic stripe cards.
- The terminal FD-130, the terminal can be used by the WiFi connection in a main location in your restaurant without worrying about many connections and wires with a power source.
The terminal FD-150 is the solution for the EMV problem many restaurants are facing. Let’s see what they are:
Use similar POS like Clover Mini
There are no compromises in designing the system. Businesses have been demanding for this system for various reasons – because of its simplicity and ease of use – having all your data at one place easy to manage. Clover Mini also has every feature that need to be in a POS system. Upper-level features get accessed like:
- Any kind of transaction is accepted – EMV, Pin-Debit, Chip+PIN and Apple Pay
- You can accept tips in different ways – device on the sale, or in other ways
- Inventory is Real-time
- Employee has different permissions or roles
- Reports with detailed breakdowns are easy to create
- front-facing camera with touch screen
- Printer which has internal thermal
- WiFi /Ethernet Connection
With your device use a PinPad (external)
If you want your customers to contribute towards tips and you would want to ask them separately when they come for paying bills at the counter, at this point of need you will use a PinPad externally. A device which faces the customers allows you to enter the tip amount. In this way you are giving free will to your customers to choose tip amount, adding to this you don’t have to adjust the sales later at the end of the day manually reviewing every tip amount. Typically a sale will flow in this way:
- The base amount is entered in the terminal using a credit card by the merchant who occupies a seat at the counter
- The customer can enter their tip amount on the PinPad
- Through the PinPad which faces the customer, will be asked to swipe/dip the card
- Once the transaction is validated, the customer gets a prompt to take their card from the system and prints a receipt from the base terminal
The fully EMV compliant VeriFone Vx520 (terminal) and Vx805 (which faces customers) PinPad receives NFC (Apple Pay) payments also. A best solution to accept tips for kitchen businesses. For more information on how well it works you can watch a video related to EMV sale with tips.